Academy Council and Governors
As per our Nexus MAT Articles of Association and Nexus Scheme of Delegation, each school within Nexus Multi Academy Trust has its own Local Governing Body (LGB) or Academy Council. Academy Councils have delegated responsibilities from the Trust Board, via the CEO, to support and challenge the Academy Senior Leadership in relation to the running of the Academy in line with the MAT’s published scheme of delegation
Academy Councils will, through the schedule of meetings held, provide oversight of the performance of the Headteacher and, - by extension and through the performance of the Headteacher – the effectiveness of the Trust, by receiving reports and providing a forum for stakeholder voice to comment on the school’s effectiveness, via the following means:
- The Headteacher’s Report on overall effectiveness
- A current version of the school’s self-evaluation and improvement plan
- School Community Voice Report
- School Budget Report
The membership of the Academy Council shall be determined in accordance
with the following provisions:
- The total membership shall be not less than seven
- The membership shall comprise:
- the Chair;
- the Headteacher or head of school as appropriate;
- No fewer than 2 elected Parent governors;
- two elected members of Staff, one teaching one non-teaching;
- the remaining governors appointed by the Academy Council.
- The Academy Council will appoint its own members (other than the Chair) through whichever means it feels to be most effective i.e. via vote, via interview, via parent/staff wide vote etc. The Academy Council must take advice from the Trust Executive whenever seeking to appoint new members.
We strongly believe that excellent schools have excellent leadership and management from within, and a key component of this is governance. The Trust has a duty to ensure that it enables excellent leadership in each of our schools through empowerment and support.
The Nexus Governance Handbook includes the terms of reference for Local Governing Bodies and outlines the code of conduct for governors. To view this document click here.